It is the third
largest city after
Dar es Salaam and
Mwanza. The city was first
ruled by Arabs, then came the Germans under Carl Peters who
established the settlement in 1888. The Germans developed the town as
entry port for the settlers.
Tanga is the second
largest port in mainland Tanzania
and plays an important role in the
country's economy. Most of the goods produced in the Northern part of
Tanzania; sisal, hemp fiber, coffee, tea, cotton, hides and skins are
City Tour: Visit among the old buildings,
which were constructed at the period of German Rule: Clock Tower,
Court House, St. Anthony Cathedral, Tanga Library, Railway Station,
alternatively, visiting to the Swahili Quarters Mwakidira
Tongoni ruins: It is believed that the
settlement around this area was established around 10th century
by Alli Bin Sultan Hassan the same person who established settlement
around Kilwa. The ruins have two remnants of wells , a mosques
and about 40 m tombs some of them with pillars. Persian inscription
found at at the tombs would suggest some sort of contacts between
Tongoni and Persian people.
It is possible to extend your tour by Visiting
historical town and Peponi Beach,
Amani Nature Reserve in Usambara Mountain. We also offer Cycling Tour to some of nearby
villages and Pangani.
Otherwise leave Tanga and
spend sometimes on a beach national park of Saadani. Cultural visit
to Magamba Village far north,
Ndumi Village defense
works, and Mwarongo sand beaches can be rewarding.
Tanga is well served with
road network from Dar es Salaam, Morogoro, Arusha, Moshi and
Mombasa; Coastal Aviation offers a daily Scheduled flight to Tanga,
traveling via Zanzibar and Pemba.